Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Musings

For the past two days I worked my part-time job at the local coffee shop here in Dade City. I'm exhausted and have had a hard time getting online and especially getting on cafemom. I haven't had a lot of time to put in much energy for painting and drawing, but I have been noticing art around me more.
For instance, in the coffee cafe we have art that appears to be from local artist. I haven't asked the owner yet where they came from. One piece in particular catches my eye. The colors
stand out because they are more vibrant than most, but not overpowering. It is a womans face but it has a Picasso feel to it. No straight lines, lots of waves. What impresses me most about the painting is the color "running" beneath the eyes of the woman. It gives the look of mascara running down beneath your eyes after you are crying. The artist did not use black for this effect. They used Green and it has slanted lines through it. If I ever get a better camera I will post a picture of it.

I'd love for everyone who reads this to leave me a comment letting me know what your favorite artist style is. What's your favorite picture? Do you visit and explore art museums? Who is your favorite artist, local or otherwise? I want to hear from you!

Here's to art!
Bea

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You haven't lived until you've seen a Monet in person. It brought me to tears. Just realizing that he painted this with his own hands years and years ago and it is here today for me to enjoy. The way the colors are layered can only be appreciated in person. I think that goes for any artist and their work.
I love Edward Hopper, Mary Cassat, Renoir, Howard Finster, Monet, Van Gogh....the list goes on...